Halloween’s No Treat for Pets!
Halloween is a fun, spooky and often tasty time for us—but many treats associated with Halloween can put your pet’s health at risk. Here’s seasonal food (and drink) that you should definitely keep out of paw’s reach:
Chocolate can cause upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, panting, abnormal heart rhythm, kidney failure, seizures, and even death if large amounts are consumed. Dark and baking chocolate are the most dangerous, as they contain the largest amounts of methylxanthines, substances toxic to dogs and cats. Caffeine and coffee contain these same substances and should be kept away from your pet.
Xylitol—a sweetener often found in peanut butter and chewing gum—is extremely toxic to dogs and cats, as it can cause extremely low blood sugar, seizures, and liver failure.
Grapes and raisins may be healthy treats for people, but not for our canine
companions. Eating them can result in sudden kidney failure.
Nuts contain high amounts of oils and fats that cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
Alcohol at adult Halloween gatherings might be enjoyable for us, but vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, respiratory problems, and a truly deadly hangover could be the result if your dog or cat ingests alcohol of any kind.
It’s also important to remind little trick-or-treaters not to feed candy to pets and to tuck their goodies safely away from their animal friends.
If you think your pet may have eaten something toxic, call us at (480) 893-8423 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately!